What are platinum keywords on Amazon
The most important factors in Amazon ranking optimization
Amazon has had an impressive development and is now dominating online retail. What many do not know, Amazon is not only a retailer and marketplace, but also a search engine that can be optimized for. Sellers and vendors alike can benefit from Amazon ranking optimization and effectively increase their sales. Selling successfully on Amazon is not a sure-fire success either, but with the right know-how you can achieve a surprising amount with a manageable amount of effort.
The advantage of Amazon SEO is that there are still areas on Amazon in which it is comparatively easy to rank well. Amazon is now on a par with Google when it comes to product searches and, according to some experts, has even overtaken Google. A study by the big data specialists at Jumpshot found that as early as 2018 54 percent of product searches were made directly on Amazon. In 2015 it was 46%. So Amazon SEO is a future topic that you definitely shouldn't miss.
As an experienced Amazon agency, we show in the following article all the important factors that need to be considered when optimizing Amazon.
Optimization vs. Performance: the Amazon Ranking Algorithm
The most serious difference between Amazon SEO and Google SEO lies in the search behavior and the business model behind it. Google also searches for products, but Google primarily offers Information and problem solving. Unlike Google, which mainly earns its bread with advertising, Amazon wants one thing above all: sell as many products as possible. Amazon is considered fast, relatively cheap and has an unbeatable selection. The real secret of the company's success, however, is that it consistently tries to make its customers happy and satisfied - even if it is at the expense of the retailer. Customer service always has priority at Amazon.
This also affects the search algorithm. Service and Performance factors like cancellation rate, reviews and Sales rank are an important part of the Amazon search ranking algorithm. This is what distinguishes the Amazon search from a classic search engine.
Like normal SEO, Amazon SEO is basically a process - it can take several months before you can reap the fruits of your labor. If you no longer perform well, you can quickly get rid of your position at the top of the Amazon hits.
Anyone who wants to sell on Amazon depends on a good ranking. Amazon Advertising is becoming more and more important, but according to Jumpshot it is still 90 percent of all "product views" generated via the normal product search. Nevertheless, Amazon Advertising is of course an interesting alternative to classic search engine advertising and can be a good addition to Amazon SEO.
When you list a product on Amazon, you can choose from 30,000 different categories. The correct product categorization is the first step that you have to master in an Amazon ranking optimization. Many more steps can follow.
Keyword optimization on Amazon
The most important thing that the Amazon search has in common with a "normal" search engine is the central importance of keywords. Keywords are the search terms that the user types into a search engine. This is where an Amazon optimization can start.
If a product is to be found in Amazon's search, the corresponding keyword must also appear on the product detail page (product listing). Therefore the rule of thumb applies: all relevant keywords should be used in the product listing.
The most important keyword (s) should appear in:
- Product title
- For "search terms" in Seller Central (not visible)
- Bullet points
- Product description
The Algorithm from Amazon always analyzes where a keyword has been used and assigns different relevance to them according to their position. Search terms in the product title have the highest relevance, search terms in the product description are of rather low priority for the algorithm.
The invisible ones keywords (Keywords) under "Search terms" in the Amazon Seller Central are limited by the number of bytes. Up to 249 bytes are possible - every letter and every number from 0-9 corresponds to one byte.
In some cases there are other ways of specifying keywords. For example, there are also so-called Target audience keywords, with which you can communicate your target group (women, men, boys, girls, unisex etc.) to Amazon. These can increase the visibility of a product detail page for a specific target group, as Amazon can then filter even better.
The Platinum keywords only bring something to sellers who have platinum status. You can get this from Amazon after three years at the earliest, if you can show both a very good performance and a high level of customer satisfaction. In addition, you have to have your own products on offer. The value of the platinum keywords is, however, controversial; they are often given little importance.
The invisible keywords in the Amazon Seller Central, which also include the platinum keywords, have to be there without a comma can be specified.
With hyphen Connected words are registered by Amazon both in the form of individual words and as a complete combination in combined (e.g. women's jacket), separated (e.g. women's jacket) and hyphenated (women's jacket). However, the Amazon algorithm already differentiates between the different variants. The exact spelling is in Ranking preferred. This applies at least to the product title; in the case of the keywords stored in Seller Central, the combined and hyphenated variants are treated the same.
In any case, the most important keywords should also be used in the version in the title that was used by the users on most searched becomes. Where there is uncertainty as to which keyword has the most search volume, the keyword can be written with a hyphen. The same applies to cases in which there is a high search volume for all three variants, but at the same time there is not enough space or the possibility to write them out. Among the most important tools for the Keyword research You can find more at the point "More Amazon optimization tips".
Writing keywords in quotation marks is generally not recommended.
Performance factors at Amazon
As already mentioned, in addition to the keywords, the performance factors in the Amazon relevance algorithm are also of central importance. The most important are:
- Sales rank (how well an item sells overall)
- Sales in a category (compared to other dealers)
- Product reviews
- Dealer reviews
- Seals of quality like Prime or Bestseller
- Buy box
- Return rate
- Frequency of order defects
- Late delivery rate
- Satisfaction with returns
- Policy violations
- Click Through Rate (CTR) in search results
- Length of stay on the product page
- Conversion rate (conversions / impressions)
Basics for success on Amazon
Before you get started with Amazon, you should clarify the following basics, which are essential for success on Amazon. You should be able to answer the following 7 questions with "Yes":
- Do the specified keywords and information match existing search queries?
- Is the title appealing and self-explanatory?
- Is the price competitive including shipping?
- Do customers receive all the important information about the condition of the item and the scope of delivery?
- Is the delivery time attractive?
- Has the correct category been chosen?
- Is there enough stock?
Individual factors in the Amazon ranking optimization
The Amazon search algorithm takes many different factors into account. The following are the most important elements that you can optimize on Amazon:
The product title is one of the most important factors in Amazon search engine optimization. Not only does an optimized title have a better chance of ranking, an appealing product title also leads to a higher click rate (CTR) and thus to more sales. Via the CTR, which is an independent ranking factor, the product title can also indirectly positively influence Amazon's algorithm.
The product title should:
- contain the most important keywords
- be self-explanatory
- bring the main selling point
- provide the most important information in the first 80 characters
- List the most important keyword at the beginning
- use most of the characters (200 characters possible)
- contain no filler words (and, but etc.)
- List relevant brands
The invisible keywords in Amazon Seller Central are comparable to the meta keywords that used to play a role in SEO. Among other things, keywords can be accommodated here for which there is no space in the product title.
You should keep the following in mind with the non-visible keywords:
- Ideal for synonyms, common misspellings and other keywords
- Space for 249 characters including spaces
- Keywords from the title etc. should not be repeated here
- Amazon keywords are separated by spaces, not commas
- For normal accounts, Platinum keywords are not taken into account
- Singular and plural forms are automatically covered
- Upper and lower case is not important
- Can be found under Search Terms> General Keywords
Bullet points / attributes
The keywords in the bullet points are also an important factor in calculating relevance. Therefore, they are also a central part of Amazon SEO. In addition, the bullet points, which are also referred to as attributes or product attributes, often serve potential customers as the second most important source of information after the title.
The following should be observed at the bullet points:
- Compact presentation of the most important product features and functions
- The most important property should be at the top of the list
- All major USPs should be listed
- It should contain more keywords
- Keywords from the title do not need to be repeated
- Special guarantees or warranties should be listed
- All bullet points should be used
- Sellers can use up to 5 bullet points
- Vendors can use up to 10 bullet points
- The maximum number of characters is limited to 1000 characters
The keywords in the product description play a subordinate role in the ranking calculation, but the product description should by no means be neglected. Because in many cases it contributes to the purchase decision.
When describing the product, you should consider these points:
- Should contain the main selling points
- The description should be clearly structured
- The HTML formatting options should be used
- Long sentences should be avoided
- Further keywords can be integrated if they do not disrupt the flow of reading
- Should be at least 500 characters long (2000 characters possible)
A + content
Vendors and now also sellers who are brand owners can use so-called A + content (or Enhanced Marketing Content in the product description or in the product information. With A + Content, you can not only increase the number of possible characters in the product description by 5,000, you can also add images, Illustrations or graphics that significantly enhance the presentation of the product. This can lead to a higher conversion rate.
To participate in the program, sellers must have the "Professional Sales Tariff" and are registered in the Amazon brand register as Trademark owner be registered.
The additional A + content is not indexed by Amazon, so it does not directly affect the ranking.
The product images are one of the most important factors in Amazon optimization. Although they are not direct ranking factors, they do influence them Click Through Rate (CTR) and the Conversion rate (CR) decisive. These performance factors can also influence the ranking in an indirect way.
Basically, a distinction can be made between:
- Main image: Will be displayed in the Amazon preview and on the product page. Therefore relevant for both CTR and CR. Amazon stipulates that the main image must have a white background. The product should be well lit and easy to see in the main picture
- Side pictures: Here the product can be presented in more detail. Different perspectives can be used, the complete contents of the product package can be displayed or the product can be shown in the application
You should consider the following with product images:
- The images should have a resolution of at least 1000 x 500 pixels (better more)
- Formats: JPEG is preferred, PNG, GIF or TIFF are also possible
- The product and props should fill at least 85 percent of the image.
- It is recommended to show the product from different perspectives and in different forms
- Infographics can be used to demonstrate the main features of the product
- Emotional addressing can be made possible through social interactions with the product or a lifestyle context
- The illustration of the complete contents of the product package can clarify what is acquired with the purchase
- All images should be used (up to a maximum of 8)
With each article you can specific information such as color, manufacturer, brand weight, material and much more are specified. This information can provide the Amazon algorithm with additional information about the product and thus also the ranking - especially for Longtail keywords - improve. In addition, buyers can find the information provided in a separate section under the heading "Product information" on the product detail page, which can also improve the conversion rate. This option to provide important details should therefore be used in any case.
Trading on Amazon is usually difficult without a Buy Box. Because not only approx. 90% of sales realized, the presence of a Buy Box usually also decides whether you appear in the Amazon search results at all.
The competition for the Buy Box always begins when there are several sellers for the same product. Often only one of the sellers receives the Buy Box. The other sellers can then be reached via the link “XX new / used from EUR XX”, which points to a separate list with other providers refers to where the products are then listed - sorted by price.
You can order directly from this list, but you cannot visit the product detail page.
The three main factors that determine whether you get the Buy Box are as follows:
- Seller performance
- Shipping (including whether shipping by Amazon)
This practice is not surprising, because Amazon is interested in generating the highest possible sales, and not necessarily in offering all retailers the same opportunities. Last but not least, Amazon is also in competition with other platforms such as eBay and therefore has a vital interest in lowest possible prices and fast shipping to keep customers happy.
In order to receive a Buy Box, the following minimum requirements must usually be met:
- Sale for 90 days
- Sale of new items
- Goods available
- Professional account
If you meet these criteria, but do not win the competition for the Buy Box, you will sometimes find yourself directly below it at the point "Other sellers on Amazon“Is displayed.
Amazon Prime / Fulfilled by Amazon
Seals of quality are of particular importance in Amazon optimization. While you get seals of approval like “Amazon Choice” or “Bestseller” from Amazon, you can consciously choose “Prime” or “Fulfillment by Amazon”.
The blue Prime logo next to the product can significantly improve sales and conversions. Not only are Prime products ranked better, the Prime logo also suggests to customers that it is one Premium seller acts. In addition, all Amazon customers with a Prime membership can have the items delivered to their home free of charge, which significantly increases their willingness to buy.
The conditions for participating in Prime are the following for traders:
- Go through a test phase
- Bearing the costs for shipping and Amazon
- Warehouse in Germany
- Professional account
- Daily dispatch of at least 5 Prime packages
Another solution is that Fulfilled by Amazon, also as FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) known. Here you not only automatically receive the Prime logo, without having to meet the above-mentioned conditions, you will also preferably receive the one mentioned in the previous point Buy box, through which, as already mentioned, 90 percent of sales are made.
If you need more information on this topic, you can also visit the relevant Amazon page, where you can also use a shipping fee calculator to calculate how much shipping through Amazon will cost you.
In offline trading, the product can be checked much more precisely than is possible online. Therefore, online buyers need other indicators. In this regard, the most popular are the reviews from customers who have already purchased the product. Good reviews are therefore also those A and O at Amazon. Star ratings go hand in hand with reviews, but they're even more important. Because in addition to the sheer number of reviews, the potential customer will always have an eye on how well the product did in the end.
The number of reviews and the average rating are most likely also a ranking factor. Ultimately, Amazon is interested in offering its customers products that are good or have been found to be good. Studies have also shown that from 50 reviews with an average rating of 4.5 stars, the Willingness of customers to buy increases significantly. The Sales rank is in turn also a ranking factor, so that reviews also indirectly influence the Amazon algorithm.
But how do you get good reviews?
Recommended is, among other things. the implementation of a Assessment management. You should react immediately to negative reviews in particular and present your point of view. You can use the enclosed flyer to send customers to a Motivate reviewing, being careful not to violate Amazon's guidelines. Of course, you can also collect customer feedback and look for patterns in the reviews to see what you can possibly improve on your product.
In addition, Amazon vendors offer a paid program for generating reviews: the Vine program. With the “Early Reviewer Program” something similar should also come for sellers, but this has not yet been launched in Germany.
Business models on Amazon: Sellers & Vendors
There are two business models on Amazon that are fundamentally different and are also not insignificant for search engine optimization: Seller & Vendor. While as a seller you sell your goods on the Amazon Marketplace If you sell to end customers, you are sold as a vendor to Amazon. As a vendor, you primarily act as a Supplier of the goods to Amazon, which also sells the products under its own name and handles logistics and customer contact.
From an SEO point of view, Amazon's vendor program offers various advantages: As a rule, Amazon not only ranks its “own” products better, but you also have full access to them Marketing tools of the online giant and can A + content integrate. In addition, many customers prefer to buy from Amazon than from a third-party provider.
In addition to the numerous criteria that a vendor must meet, the main disadvantage of the vendor program is that lack of price sovereignty. Amazon will always calculate the margins for its own benefit. As a rule, the vendor program is therefore only worthwhile for Manufacturer, in many cases is a Hybrid model, where you act as both a seller and a vendor, the best solution.
The following table shows the advantages and disadvantages of the Amazon Vendor Program at a glance:
|Wide range of analytics tools||Access only by invitation from Amazon|
|Comprehensive marketing options (e.g .: "Vine", "Marketing Services")||No control over the type and quantity of the goods delivered|
|Additional A + content||No price control|
|No customer support required||Contract negotiations are complex and lengthy|
|No direct responsibility for returns||Complicated cost structure|
|Own storage for B2C customers is not necessary||Great dependence on Amazon|
Four more Amazon optimization tips
Here are four more tips for Amazon optimization that can make your Amazon SEO successful:
- Promote your Amazon offer on social media Not only will this drive more sales, it will also make customers you already know more likely to write positive reviews.
- Answer customer questions: The “Customer Questions and Answers” section is primarily intended for customers, but you can also answer questions that have not been answered for a long time yourself, thereby increasing confidence in your product.
- Use synonyms: Unlike the Google algorithm, the Amazon algorithm doesn't care how often you use a term on your product page. If you use synonyms, you can be listed for keywords for which you have not yet ranked. You should therefore use synonyms wherever you do not disturb the flow of reading and the product presentation.
- Use keyword research tools: In contrast to Google, you have not yet been able to determine the exact search volume of a keyword with certainty with Amazon because Amazon does not publish the data. However, there are some tools available online that can be used at least for a rough assessment. With the https://keywordtool.io, the Amazon traffic analyzed However, it is unclear where the tool gets the data from. Another free Amazon keyword research tool is Sonar. Instead of a specific search volume, bars are displayed here that say at least something about the relative frequency of keyword use. Make use of that too Keyword planner in Google Ads (formerly Google AdWords). Even if the data refer to the Google search, you can still get an impression, which search queries are made frequently and in which dimensions the search volume is most likely. And check out the suggestions from Amazon Suggest on, as with Google Suggest, these are probably the most common long-tail keywords related to a search term.
- Which bird name ends with NA
- Should I avoid sin or suffering
- How has the printing press changed America
- Who covers the second base in the event of theft?
- What is the capital of Icetratt
- What does welcome page mean
- Are Mobikwik's offer real
- What are playground rules
- What is made up of amino acids
- How do the Turks smell
- Women can literally smell fear
- Can I Take Food Carbo Gain Now?
- What is x if 100x 100
- Will someone invest in my company?
- Why do old paintings really cost a lot
- What is the is_int function in PHP
- Why does an echo sound
- Where can I see future CSS features
- Which color of iPhone 5C do you prefer
- Display advertising who are the main competitors of video plazas
- How does this world work
- Raindrops can freeze in the air
- Why are there no state tuition fees
- Is the future of humanity at risk?