Can an anteater eat fire ants
Anteater: Information in the animal lexicon
General information about the giant anteater
The giant anteater, scientifically Myrmecophaga tridactyla, occurs in large parts of Central and South America. Giant anteaters have nothing in common with real bears except their name. Biologically, they belong to the family of Myrmecophagidae and how sloths and armadillos belong to the group of Sub-articulated animals.
There are still three genres today. In addition to the giant anteater, there are also the dwarf anteaters (Cyclopes) and the Tamanduas (Tamandua). Their closest relatives are the sloths and armadillos. They only eat ants and termites. They eat up to 35,000 of the insects every day.
Habitat: where does the anteater live?
Large anteaters are at home in the forests, swamps, but especially in the savannahs of Central and South America. The loners claim territories of up to 25 square kilometers. Often only one animal lives in an area as large as the island of Sylt! If two anteaters meet, it can sometimes lead to bloody fights.
height and weight
The animals reach a head-trunk length of up to 140 centimeters, the tail is another 60 to 90 centimeters long. and then weigh just under 40 kilograms. Strong specimens bring up to 39 kilograms on the scales. Males are usually slightly larger and heavier than females.
How old do giant anteaters get?
Nobody knows exactly how old the animals get in the wild. An anteater in the zoo was already upset 26 years.
Reproduction: Offspring of the great anteater
In spring, the female anteater gives birth to a single cub after six months of gestation, which opens its eyes after about six days and is suckled for about six months. At the age of three months, young animals begin to eat ants and termites in addition to their mother's milk. When they are ten to twelve months old, they move on to solid foods for good.
Does the anteater have enemies?
Puma, jaguar, birds of prey - and humans too. Although they are under protection, giant anteaters are hunted. Because their thick skin can be processed into leather and the shaggy tail into brooms or fly wagons.#Subjects
- Importance of career guidance for career development
- Who named the newest Hawaiian island Loihi
- How did Steve Jobs change society?
- Which philosophy of life worked for you
- Why do squids only live 2 years
- Can homeopathy medicine cure fibroadenoma
- What is the political scenario in the US
- Should I remove my own IUD?
- Regret going to Stanford 1
- Sells ShopClue's legitimate products
- What is your personal SMS etiquette
- What were your marriage vows
- How was Uluru Ayers Rock created
- What is India's national bird
- Can you name a few famous autodidacts
- What is HDR10 in televisions
- What animals are used for black magic
- Which cameras are compatible with OpenCV
- Where can I find data recovery
- Which aquarium fish have personalities
- If 6x 360 what is x
- Whatever is the plural of whoever
- How is the ECE
- What are some Socket Io tutorials apps