PewDiePie owes its 2 problems
Jury found Weinstein guilty
In the rape trial, the jury made up of lay judges came to the decision to convict the 67-year-old for rape and sexual assault. However, Weinstein was not guilty of the most serious charge, that of brutal sexual assault - for which he was threatened with life imprisonment, writes the US news agency AP. Weinstein now faces up to 25 years imprisonment.
Weinstein was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs and will now remain in custody, according to Reuters. New York judge James Burke denied a motion by Weinstein's attorneys to release the former Hollywood mogul on bail over health problems.
The sentence is expected to be pronounced on March 11, AP reports meanwhile. The jury deliberations dragged on for days. News to the court led to the conclusion that the jury had meanwhile disagreed on several counts, wrote the dpa.
Defense announces contestation
Since 2017, more than 80 women have accused Weinstein of sexual assault. The sensational New York trial since January has been about two allegations: Weinstein is said to have sexually assaulted production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006 and raped today's hairdresser Jessica Mann in 2013.
Prosecutors also added allegations made by actress Annabella Sciorra, who accused Weinstein of rape in the 1990s. While this case is statute-barred, the prosecution sought to establish a pattern of sexual violence by Weinstein.
The process is considered a milestone in the "#MeToo" movement that was triggered by the case. Weinstein's lawyers now want to challenge the guilty verdict. Weinstein's chief defender Donna Rotunno announced an appeal against the verdict in New York on Monday: "The fight is not over yet."
Detailed descriptions of witnesses
In the past few weeks, the prosecutor's office had tried, with the help of a total of six main witnesses, to reveal, in sometimes drastic detail, a sample of Weinstein - that of a man who systematically exploited his power in the film industry to make young women submissive who promised career assistance to women for sex and sexually abused them if they said no.
The defense, on the other hand, had given the witnesses complicity and portrayed Weinstein in the role of a victim. Women had exploited him for decades because of his influence and money and were aware of their actions and signals to him. All sex was consensual.
"Time's Up" movement speaks of a "new era"
In an initial reaction, the "Times Up" movement was pleased with the verdict. The movement came about as a reaction to the revelations surrounding the ex-film mogul and "#MeToo". The verdict would herald a "new era of justice". The jury's verdict sends "a strong signal to the world," it said in a statement.
The journalist Ronan Farrow, whose coverage of Weinstein contributed significantly to the start of the "#MeToo" movement, praised the courage of the victims after the verdict against the former Hollywood mogul. "Today's verdict against Harvey Weinstein in the New York trial is the result of a decision by several women to turn to journalists and prosecutors at high personal risk," Farrow wrote on Twitter.
Further proceedings in California are imminent
Even apart from the New York trial, Weinstein could still face a lawsuit. In Los Angeles, California, he was also charged with rape and sexual assault. There could also be a lawsuit there.
- Causes Adderall aggression
- What are paper plates made of
- How did the Goo Goo Dolls start
- What irritates you about cinemas?
- Is a risky career
- Do Abusive Parents Deserve To Be Forgiven?
- Is cocaine a damn good drug
- How bad is SRM University for girls
- Why don't Muslims wear full-length pants?
- How correct is the Ramazi theory
- Is there a girl quota in SASTRA
- Is the 0 1 an even number
- What are blouses
- Have you thought about shared office space?
- How can you help bees without beekeeping?
- Does climate change have a timescale
- Donald Trump has grandchildren
- How can I do underwater fashion photography
- Why do sick people sleep a lot
- Freezes water at absolute zero
- Why did Reddit quarantine the Donald subreddit
- How can you control better
- Can aquaponics go mainstream
- How do I get over my girlfriend
- What is your favorite YouTube original series?
- What is a cure for chronic loneliness
- Do you like being a broker
- Are paid Shopify themes worth it
- Smoking re-burnt cigarettes is toxic
- Makes MDMA possible at home
- Cancer is a disease in the air
- Why is Halloween better than Christmas
- What does student achievement mean
- What service is my cell using