Subscribed for subscription work on YouTube
Use Microsoft Word for free - the online version with all basic functions
(Update - May 3rd, 2021) For beginners there is Microsoft Word free of charge with all basic functions as an online version. Upgrades to Microsoft Office 365 Home for private individuals and to Microsoft Office 365 products for companies, which you can now also order directly from Host Europe, are easily possible.
Why Word is so popular
Microsoft Word is probably the best known and most widely used word processing program in the world. The enormous popularity of Word results on the one hand from the ease of use and functionality of the program.
Microsoft's clever marketing strategy certainly had an equally great influence. For years, PCs and notebooks were sold in bundles with OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions of Microsoft Word or Office. Microsoft Word or Office had to be installed or activated on the corresponding device. In mid-2011 Microsoft took a radically new approach with Microsoft Office 365. Microsoft Office 365 is a combination of the classic Office programs, which are, however, obtained as a subscription, Office web applications that run browser-based on desktop and mobile devices, and online services.
It is now also possible to use Microsoft Word online for free. Then, however, with a reduced range of functions.
Set up a Microsoft account & use Word online for free
To use Microsoft Word online for free, you need a Microsoft account. If you do not have a Microsoft account yet, you can set it up free of charge at www.microsoft.com/de-de/account.
- Create a free Microsoft account and enter the login details you want. In addition to the e-mail address, data such as first name, surname and date of birth are requested.
- When done, click Create Account.
- You will now receive a verification e-mail to the e-mail address you provided with a code that you must enter to complete the registration.
- Then you should set up your Microsoft account on the devices with which you want to use Word online.
At Account.Microsoft.com/Devices you can see which devices are connected to your Microsoft account and manage them. Here you will also find the management for Android and iOS devices. Once setup is complete, you can get started and use Microsoft Word for free.
Sign up for Microsoft Word on the web
Now all you need to do is log into Microsoft Word online with your Microsoft account. If you have a business account, such as If you have an Office 365 product from Host Europe, for example, you should use it. In this case, you can also edit Word files directly in Word Office 365 - this gives you extended functions.
To log into Microsoft Word Online.
After logging in, you will be taken to your OneDrive cloud storage, which is automatically created for you when you log in. You have 5 GB of storage space available to save files in Word online free of charge. You can also use the storage space for other documents, pictures and other files.
Now you can work with Microsoft Word for free and edit the documents either online or through the desktop app. For editing via the desktop app, you must first install it and then click on "Open in desktop app" in the menu in the online version of Word.
Microsoft Word offers you practically all classic word processing functions online. Spell checking, searching and replacing, creating headers and footers, inserting tables, images, page numbers and much more. You can format texts individually, use format templates and also create them yourself. A number of document templates are also available to you.
Easily share your Word documents with colleagues, friends or acquaintances
Particularly practical: With Microsoft Word, you can share documents online with colleagues or friends and edit them together. Just click Share in the top right corner and enter the email address of the person you'd like to share your document with. If you want, you can send a note, for example a comment or work instruction, at the same time.
Limitations of Microsoft Word on the Web
Unfortunately, there are also some annoying restrictions: For example, the following file formats are not supported when you use Microsoft Word online for free:
- Rich Text Format (RTF)
- Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) and
- Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions HTML (MHTML)
When you view a document online in Word, some of the functions in the browser work differently than in the Word desktop app. The free Word shows documents online in Reading view as they look in Page Layout view. Additional views (outline, draft, web layout, and full screen view) are only available in the app.
The storage functions are also limited: Word documents that you create online in Microsoft Word can only be saved in the cloud (OneDrive) or as a copy e.g. B. downloaded to your desktop PC or laptop. You also have the option of saving your documents locally as PDF as an alternative. For the exchange and further processing in other programs, however, the ODT format (text in OpenDocument format) is available.
Microsoft Word free of charge as an app for smartphones and tablets
If you want to use Word on the go, you can download the corresponding iOS, Android or Windows app ("Microsoft Word Online" or "Microsoft Office Mobile") from your app store or use it as a browser app such as B. Install “Office Online” for Google Chrome.
To the "Office Online" browser app for Google Chrome (access to Microsoft OneDrive required.)
Microsoft Word on the Web - Pros and Cons
So what speaks for and against the online version? Here is an overview of the advantages and disadvantages:
|- Word Online is free - with no time limit||- If Microsoft Word is free, it has partially restricted functions|
|- 5 GB of cloud storage included||- Documents can only be saved in the cloud (and downloaded from there)|
|- available for PC / notebook and mobile devices||- no transparency about the storage location|
|- enables central access to documents||- limited storage options|
|- Documents can be released / shared||- only basic editing and format changes are possible|
|- partially bad performance|
Professional further processing of your Word documents with Office 365
Documents that you have created online with the free version of Microsoft Word can also be edited directly with Office 365 programs. For business use you need e.g. B. one of the following Office variants, which you can order directly from Host Europe:
- Office 365 Business Basic with professional e-mail communication via Microsoft Exchange and HD video conferences for working from the home office
- Office 365 Business Standard also offers Office for PC, Mac, tablet and smartphone as a download.
Further information on the professional Office 365 products from Host Europe can be found at www.hosteurope.de/Office-365.
More articles on the topic:
- What's your favorite route
- Did Obamacare make you change doctors?
- What will run 3200 watt generator
- Do you still live in SA?
- How Much Does Parse Self Hosting Cost
- What are the best found footage films
- Is yeast parasitic, saprophytic or symbiotic
- What is the safest place in Venezuela
- What is a ladder
- Does buying links work
- Police officers bait people in tickets
- Which are the world's best aloe vera types
- What do Mexicans think of Norway
- How do researchers create optical skyrmions
- Have you ever had a colonoscopy
- How is the organizational structure in Paytm
- What is text wrapping
- How can I create my group links
- How to repair torn drywall
- Margaret Thatcher was the best prime minister
- How do you win in business
- Why do I throw up on summer days
- Why are my thoughts getting loud
- Mathematical Physics Doubts about the derivation of the Lagrange equation
- Can combine hydrogen and helium
- How long will the sun burn
- Why does Scotland have its own bank
- What does the Van Allen Belt
- Is Far Cry New Dawn good
- How united we are with the universe
- How do you get Fortnite on Chromebook
- The vehicle contains a bicycle
- How did Sam Walton find Walmart
- How is it that Donald Trump attacks war heroes