Fast typing is really important
Ten-finger system: is good typing now superfluous?
Anyone who has learned the ten-finger system is usually very proud of it. And those who tend to use the eagle search system when typing are happy to advertise their own technology. But is one actually more effective than the other? And do you have to learn the ten-finger system at all?
The origins of so-called blind or ten-finger writing go back to the 19th century. It is said to have been invented by the stenographer Frank Edward McGurrin. His strategy of using a keyboard without looking at the keys has prevailed over generations.
The principle of typing with ten fingers is simple. There is the so-called basic position. The fingers of the left hand occupy the keys A, S, D and F - starting with the little finger on the A. The fingers of the right hand are on J, K, L and Ö from the index finger. From there it goes down or up to the nearest letter. The thumbs hover over the space bar.
Ten-finger system unrivaled despite weaknesses
But is the system still needed? “We haven't come up with a better way to teach someone how to type. So it is still the best, but also the only system that we can fall back on, ”summarizes Anna Maria Feit.
She works at the Chair of Computer Science at the ETH Zurich and focuses on the subject of text input. The researcher is “not convinced” of the method, but due to the lack of alternatives, she does not allow herself “too strict an opinion”.
- Is wrestling a girl's sport?
- Where do primal screams come from
- How is the Dalai Lama selected?
- What are the levels of creative writing
- What does fraud mean to Franklin Veaux
- How do I sue someone
- What does a creative director do
- What is Hindu Brahman
- Where to Buy Faygo Soda
- Philadelphia has a bright future
- When do prenups expire
- Are electric vehicles efficient in India
- Can you get lithium from sea water?
- Can we join Gokuldham Society
- Why Indian marriage customs are so strange
- How much does Cirrus Insight cost
- How do you say unique in Vietnamese
- Like phagocytosis, it is a form of exocytosis
- When were the Habsburgs most powerful?
- What is an AWS RDS Instance
- What's the best script ever written
- Why is the iPhone 11 hot
- When will Beyerdynamic be releasing wireless headphones?
- How much do hotel management companies charge