What are 20th century technologies

navigation

Science and technology are increasingly challenged in the new century, with international competition not only proving to be a sensitive indicator, but also a motor for constant improvement in training and education.

The successful educational institution, finally conferring the title "Engineer" from 1909, reacts with a multitude of reform-like changes: Introduction of new curricula and compulsory subjects, laboratory internships for mechanical engineering and general electrical engineering, offering of special subjects such as thermal power, hydropower, machine tools, lifting equipment, structural iron construction, Patents, industrial hygiene and accident prevention, shorthand, local art and construction, urban planning, commercial management, economics, mandatory teaching of English or French, separation of organic and inorganic chemistry.

The substance of the building is also being generously expanded so that chemical, mechanical and electrical engineering laboratories and the library can be newly furnished. Finally, other new structures emerged: in 1902 the electrical testing office and the material testing institute, which emerged from the strength testing institute established in 1880, in 1909 the wine testing office, in 1912 the state training institute for industrial teachers, in 1914 an apprentice school as a training school for practical pedagogy, and in 1914 a department for textile engineers.


In 1911 the institution celebrates its 75th anniversary.

Mourning hall

The First World War left painful wounds in the flourishing teaching activity, the balance sheet: considerable reduction in teaching, establishment of emergency and war training courses and, unfortunately, the loss of 187 relatives who died "sacrificial deaths for the fatherland".

In the midst of the many efforts to alleviate the hardship of the post-war period, the founding of a "Society of Friends of the Trade Academy, Building School, Mechanical Engineering School, Dyeing School and Trade Teacher Training Institute" in 1921 at the suggestion of the former student C. von Bach, professor of mechanical engineering at the TH Stuttgart, as particularly useful. In this way, the collections, the laboratories and the library receive supportive support, and in cooperation with the "Industrial Advisory Board", the improvement of training is also influenced.

From 1929 a number of new regulations came into force at the educational institution - now known as the Chemnitz State Trade Academy - concerning the division into departments

  • the department for mechanical engineers (A),
  • the department for chemists (B),
  • the department for architects (C),
  • the department for electrical engineers (D),
  • the department for textile engineers (E),
  • the vocational teacher training institute,
  • the construction school,
  • the mechanical engineering school,
  • the dyeing school.

At the same time, specific specialist groups are being set up with the aim of further increasing the level of training; In this way, the institution consolidates its special position between technical middle school and university. As an expression of extraordinary appreciation for the solid connection between "practical impact and extensive scientific training", the name was again changed to State Academy for Technology in 1929.

The preparation for the Second World War and the National Socialist orientation that went with it did not go without reflection. Preparing the future engineers "for their highest task" therefore means: intensifying physical training, basic political training and student council work, working in the SA and other NSDAP branches, restricting compulsory instruction and setting up the subdivision for car and aircraft construction as well as for Precision mechanics.

The research work also experienced a strict polarization to "promote the main programs of the Reich government". In the faculty of the faculty, those who refuse to serve this regime will eventually be suspended. Some brave students pay for their resistance with punishment or end up in prison or in a concentration camp. In February 1945, the sparsely maintained teaching operations were finally stopped; a little later, Anglo-American bomber groups laid the educational facility in ruins.