How can I save my depressed family
Dealing with Depression: Tips for Family Members
The social environment plays an important role in people with depression. Be it family, friends or work colleagues - social contacts are immensely important. Always. But especially when you're in a state of depression.
Get out of the snail shell with depression
Although people with depressions know that an active social life has a positive effect on them and their illness, they tend to withdraw, especially during a depressive phase.
In such a situation you depend on the personal environment to react attentively and sensitively. Relatives can counteract the withdrawal with a lot of understanding and patience.
Relatives are not psychotherapists
It takes a lot of empathy and a high degree of sensitivity to properly deal with depressed people. Family members, partners and friends should always be aware that they are not supposed to fulfill the role and task of a psychotherapist. Purely therapeutic help belongs exclusively to a professional. It is of course a tightrope walk on the one hand to take care of a sick person and at the same time to keep enough distance so that the condition of a loved one does not get too close. But it is important for the depressed person's environment, not for them illness to feel responsible.
During depression, there is little or no self-esteem in those affected.
By withdrawing, the feeling of loneliness is intensified and depressed people often feel cut off from the world.
In addition, they often do not want to be a burden to those around them with their negative mood, their lack of drive, their pessimism. The environment can counteract this very positively: Establish closeness, show understanding, listen.
Understanding and patience are key when dealing with depressed people
Often it is enough to inquire about how they are feeling, to convey to those affected that they are thinking of them. An invitation to an excursion, a walk or a meal can often work wonders.
Because of course it can happen that suggestions are rejected, the sick person continues to close himself off. But with patience and the effort to empathize with the depressed person, family and friends can be of great help in dealing with depression.
Photo credit: (c) iStock.com/jacoblund
- What's right about social justice
- Is Lebanon doomed to financial crisis?
- Was Brexit a success or a failure
- What should I plant on my balcony
- How to choose a leader
- What if Batman became the next Joker
- Is there an end goal for evolution
- Soy-based sausages are healthier than meat
- Why do spontaneous remissions occur
- When will man end global warming?
- Do people have microdoses of cannabis
- Why moving charge creates a magnetic field
- Who in America is royal house
- Should Ivanka resign
- What is the future of video marketing
- 111 is the smallest three-digit number
- How do VC talent recruiting teams work
- How do I maintain a public garden
- Why are the Minnesota Vikings so famous
- When does a leader go wrong?
- Which course do you choose 1
- How people submit research to conferences
- When can I buy the Galaxy S10
- What is needed for the manufacture of garments