Why do I have a headache
Causes of headache
Headaches arise outside the brain because the brain itself has no pain receptors and is therefore insensitive to pain. Rather, too much pressure on the meninges and the nerve tracts that run through them can trigger pain. Reduced blood flow or inflammation of the meninges (meningitis) can also cause headaches.
The pain can be dull, oppressive, sometimes throbbing, and can extend over the entire head. Half of all headache sufferers suffer from this Tension headache. They are often very ambitious personalities who consciously or unconsciously put themselves and those around them under pressure. In the event of stress, emotional stress or a sudden change in weather, they react with tension that can trigger headaches. Too little sleep, too much alcohol and nicotine, lack of fluids, noise and bad air can all have the same effect. In women, hormone fluctuations also play a role. Mentally ill people who suffer from neuroses, psychoses or depression also repeatedly have headaches.
Many diseases can cause headaches
In around 10% of cases, headaches have a physical cause. With bad teeth, ulcerated paranasal sinuses or an otitis media, the pain spreads to the head. Heart, thyroid, kidney and metabolic diseases as well as high blood pressure are often accompanied by headaches. Worn cervical vertebrae are also sometimes noticeable with a headache. Headaches that occur as a result of a concussion or meningitis are particularly serious. Meningitis can be caused by bacteria such as meningococci, viruses such as the hemoinfluenza virus type b (Hib), fungi such as toxoplasmosis, but also by exposure to radiation. Brain tumors, on the other hand, only cause headaches when they press directly or indirectly on the meninges.
In around 40% of cases, headaches are caused by a short-term change in the external and internal carotid arteries. These are migraines and, in men, cluster headaches (Horton's syndrome).
- Why did Scotty leave the Elvis Band
- How much lard is needed for tamales
- Can scorpions be domesticated when tamed?
- Where can I learn English better?
- Did Homo sapiens evolve from Homo neanderthalensis?
- Was Johnny Cash in jail
- Are tattoos negatively correlated with intelligence?
- What does thoroughbred Indian mean
- Why is Quora so popular in America
- What can I do with history
- Where was Hades born
- What are some supernatural meme jokes
- Why are the Minnesota Vikings so famous
- What is the most expensive GoPro
- How can I set my sleep schedule
- What are some nail shape trends
- Should Ivanka resign
- Why don't people like wool socks?
- What is the rate of decay
- How did the black death change history?
- Philadelphia has a bright future
- What is a null pointer assignment
- Why does my hair refuse hair dyes
- The microwave emits radiation