What is an example of interpolation
When interpolating an unknown value of a function is estimated between two known values.
If two known values (x 1 , y 1 ) and (x 2 , y 2 ) are given, we can estimate the y-value for a point x using the following formula:
y = y 1 + (x - x 1 ) (y 2 - y 1 ) / (x 2 - x 1 )
This tutorial is going to explain how to use linear interpolation to find an unknown y value based on an x value in Excel.
Example: linear interpolation in Excel
Suppose we have the following record in Excel:
If we do a quick graph of the data, it looks like this:
Now suppose we want to find the y-value that corresponds to a new x-value of 13 is assigned. We can see that we have y values for x values of 12 and 14 measured but not for an x-value of 13.
We can use the following formula to do linear interpolation in Excel to find the estimated y value:= FORECAST (NewX, AREA.MIFT (KnownY, MATCH (NewX, KnownX, 1) -1,0,2), AREA.MIFT (KnownX, MATCH (NewX, KnownX, 1) -1,0,2))
To use this function to estimate the y-values associated with an x-value of 13:
The estimated y-value is 33,5.
If we add the point (13, 33.5) to our diagram, it seems to match the function pretty well:
We can use this formula to estimate the y value of any x value by adding we just that NewX Replace in the formula with a new x-value.
Note that the new x-value should fall within the range of the existing x-values for this feature to work.
- Who are some Russian classical composers
- When will Albania join the European Union?
- What are some interesting political paradoxes
- What are the best GPUs for gaming
- What are the main types of tea
- What if 0 0 1
- What style of music is this song
- Should I buy the Maruti Swift VXI
- Is Adobe InDesign worth the cost
- Are Springfield Armory firearms good
- Which is better 9mm or 45
- What did John Cabot achieve
- What is the customization website
- Can we really jump to parallel realities?
- Whose opinion do you trust
- What is Codesys
- What is straight in punctuation
- What is the scope of agriculture
- What is the purpose of technical filings
- Why shouldn't we eliminate taxes?
- Is cheese an artificial food?
- Is the Apple iPhone 11 Pro overrated
- Who creates words
- What is HDR10 in televisions