In which country does Rafflesia grow
So far, the largest flower on earth discovered in Sumatra
Rafflesia is a conspicuous genus of parasitic plants with no roots or leaves. Its representatives, which occur in tropical Southeast Asia, basically consist only of a sometimes very large flower that smells bestially of carrion and a mycelium-like network stuck in the host plant. The giant rafflesia (Rafflesia arnoldii), which occurs on Borneo and Sumatra, with a maximum flower diameter of 105 centimeters observed so far, is considered to be one of the largest species of this group of plants.
Rafflesia tuan-mudae can be even more powerful. The previous record holder of this fleshy, red flower species with its white blister-like spots was found a few years ago in the jungle of West Sumatra and had a 107 centimeter flower.
New record with expiration date
According to Indonesian conservationists, this maximum value has now been overshadowed by a rafflesia tuan mudae specimen with a diameter of 111 centimeters. The plant was also discovered in the Sumatran rainforest. This makes it the largest flower on earth observed so far.
"This is the largest Rafflesia tuan-mudae ever documented," said Ade Putra of the Agam Conservation Agency in Sumatra. Incidentally, it is a transitory giant: the flower will probably be faded in about a week. After that, it will first wither and then eventually rot.
Largest inflorescence in the plant kingdom
The genus Rafflesia was named after the British researcher Sir Stamford Raffles, who first described a specimen in Indonesia in the early 19th century. The bad smell of corpses that Rafflesia exudes in order to attract pollinator insects such as flies and carrion beetles, by the way, they have in common with the titan arum (Amorphophallus titanum), which is also found in Indonesia, a flower up to three meters high that produces the largest unbranched inflorescence in the plant kingdom.
- Make introverts good business consultants
- What is a strategic question
- Why didn't the US intervene in Aleppo?
- Why are calculating and calculating used interchangeably
- How do I start motivating myself
- What are the most poisonous vegetables
- Is bounty hunting real
- What is A4 paper
- May Delhi women Delhi
- Bugzilla is a free tool
- What is the HPAS exam
- What are some really strange optical illusions
- How do I download web projects
- What makes a Russian a Russian?
- How painful is Peyronie's disease
- How good was this year's World Series
- Which question would you like to answer
- How bad are poppies
- How do I find old Facebook chats
- Which usually causes a house explosion
- Does the NSIT carry out a spot round
- How do actors play a dual role?
- Who is wrong here?
- Why does my cat always have fleas?