How can I get self-centered
Loneliness makes you self-centered - and vice versa
Feeling lonely now and then, separated and isolated from other people, this feeling is part of life. A representative survey recently revealed that four out of five Germans feel lonely at least sometimes - regardless of whether they were 18 years old like the youngest respondents or 70 like the oldest. For every eighth, according to the survey, loneliness was even a constant companion.
Three psychologists from the University of Chicago have now looked at what happens in the long run to people who often feel so abandoned. John Cacioppo, who works as a professor at the Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience, and two colleagues examined data from almost 230 test subjects who had been questioned repeatedly for over eleven years. They were between 50 and 68 years old at the start of their studies, and between 61 and 79 years at the end.
Over this period of eleven years, the loneliness primarily led to the test subjects becoming more self-centered, the scientists write in the journal “Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin”“. That doesn't sound particularly surprising, and it wasn't for the researchers either. If you feel lonely and have less fulfilling relationships with other people, you inevitably have to limit yourself to yourself.
Those who revolve around themselves a lot tend to get lonely
However, the researchers also found the opposite effect: those who were more self-centered than others and circled around themselves a lot at the beginning of the study also felt more lonely years later.
So there seems to be a direct link between feeling isolated from others and a tendency to be overly concerned with oneself, both ways. Once triggered, these two unfortunately fuel each other. "Those who become more self-centered run the risk of being stuck in the feeling of loneliness in the long term," the scientists conclude. And those who are lonely tend to revolve more and more around themselves as a result.
- Why don't we use solar energy anymore
- How can I start publishing my blog
- What are good courses for working teachers
- Are there unsafe areas in Worcester, USA
- How do I get settled in California?
- How can I prepare for biochemistry
- What is an intermediate lane
- What are the characteristics of Kpop
- What is the definition of bisexuality
- How are the C standard libraries programmed
- What does accumulate 1
- Does compliance management need to be digitized?
- Which is better 9mm or 45
- Is duck tape different from duct tape
- What is entity recognition
- How did nomadic cultures differ from civilizations?
- When is ten enough?
- How do you apply what you have learned
- What were Nelson's last words
- Unmarried girls can wear Rudraksha
- How small is the smallest nuclear reactor
- What is an ensemble in statistical physics
- QuickBooks is a good idea
- What do others not understand about ISFJs
- Accept email
- Why is the US so cold hearted
- How do I do a daily routine
- What is an overload of the operator in c
- What is the function of the axoaxonic synapse
- What is the principle for jet fuel
- What do most middle managers actually do
- What is line organization
- If the Voth had defeated the Borg