How can I create a motion capture animation
Integration of MoCap data
2.1. Unreal Engine
This chapter is about how you can export or import your characters animated in Maya to Unreal.
Before you get started, you should deal with the topic of skeletal hierarchy and naming.
The reason is that skeletons work very differently in Unreal than they do in Maya. There is no 3D representation of a skeleton that imitates a real biological skeleton, but only lists that represent bones and bone hierarchies. The main focus of a skeletal asset there is therefore not on the skeleton mesh, but only on the processing of the animation data.
Therefore, before the skeleton is exported, the skeleton must be prepared in Maya. Read the chapter Import into Autodesk Maya for this
2.1.1. Skeleton export
Since Unreal can only process skeleton and animation separately, you must first export your figure with its skeleton, but without animation. Then you export both with your animation.
- Choose in Outliner your mesh and its skeleton and create a new folder for both of them (Ctrl + G)
- Switch from modeling to rigging mode at the top left and select the mesh of your figure.
- Skin> Go to Bind Pose so that the character is in the T-pose.
- Now select the newly created folder and go over File> Send to Unreal> Selection in the export settings.
- Set the target folder for the export (preferably one in your Unreal project) and take over the following settings under the tab 'File Type Specific Options':
- Include> Geometry> Smoothing Groups (a)
- Include> Geometry> Animation (on, otherwise your connection between mesh and skeleton may be broken)
- Include> Geometry> Animation> Bake Animation (off)
- Include> Geometry> Animation> Deformed Models (select all)
- Advanced Options> Axis Conversion> 'Z' (because in Unreal the axes are different than in Maya)
- File Format (.fbx)
As soon as the export is successfully completed, select your skeleton in Maya again and open again File> Send to Unreal> Selection.
This time you can use exactly all the settings as with the skeleton export. However, this time you should Include> Geometry> Animation> Bake Animation activate. Here you even have the option of determining the length of your animation using the number of frames.
Import data into Unreal
You should now have two FBX files. Unreal open the project you want to import your character into. Press the green one at the bottom of the content browser Import button. Select the freshly exported FBX file with your character without animation on your computer. A dialog window then opens with the import settings.
Then press Import All. If there is no serious error message, you have your figure correct as 'Skeletal Mesh' imported to Unreal. Do you now open your 'Skeletal Mesh' you can always rider ,Skeleton' (top right) see your skeletal structure on the left.
Now you can import the animation. So choose again in the Content Browser ,Import' and then the appropriate FBX file. Unreal now automatically detects that it is not a skeleton, but an animation. The only thing you have to do now is put the skeleton underneath Mesh> Skeleton select and again 'Import all' to press.
If you now open the Skeletal Mesh again and this time go to the Animation tab, your imported animation will be displayed in the bar in the Asset Browser at the bottom right. If you now press the play button at the bottom right, the animation should be played.
Unfortunately, this content does not yet exist!You know what can be written here?
Additional content for the website may be sent to Prof. Dr. Kipp will be given.
- What is the price of Realme 3i
- What are the stakeholders in grade 10 biology
- Meat makes a person fat
- What is general politics
- What is Central California famous for
- Some jobs actively encourage arrogant behavior
- How is a chemical compound always neutral?
- Can AI transform the human mind?
- Fundraisers are available for pages on Facebook
- What is the purpose of preparedness planning
- Japan is well developed
- When should I narrow my azaleas?
- How many users of Bing Ads are there
- Ants have hair
- How is artificial intelligence used in blockchain technology?
- What do student loans pay for
- How do I become a hardware hacker
- How successful was ancient China medicine
- How does Google Indic Keyboard
- Can a student do a Masters in Robotics
- What is the best VPN for carding
- Would civilization cease to exist without technology
- Who can never be yours
- What motivated you to exercise today
- Who sang the pop song Sucker in 2019
- Are you considerate of your spouse
- How should I restrict my pets' treats
- Why is NTA formed
- What is the purpose of licensing
- Oxidizes or reduces nitric acid
- Does the Raspberry Pi have a microphone
- Why should one fast settle down?
- What celebrities went to school together
- Does God understand himself 1