Why can't I find a refurbished Chromebook?
Use Skype on the Chromebook: Here's how it works
Video chat on the compact notebook: You want to use Skype on the Chromebook, but you don't know how? Then you will get the answer here from us. Depending on how old your hardware is, there are different ways that we will introduce you to below.
Chatting with friends, family or work colleagues: This also works with Google's Chromebook and requires little effort. One of the most popular providers in this context is Skype. The instant massaging service was introduced in 2003 and has been part of Microsoft since 2011. So far, however, there is no official Chromebook version of Skype - but that does not mean that you cannot use the app on the notebook.
Skype on the Chromebook
If you have a reasonably up-to-date Chromebook, download the free Skype app from the Google Play Store. The device has supported software from the Android marketplace for some time, although the hardware was originally designed for web applications only. Follow this link and click “Install” to download the Skype app to your device. As soon as the installation is complete, the label on the button in the Google Play Store changes to "Open". Tap to start and set up Skype.
To use the service for calls, chats and (video) calls, you must first register. If you already have an account for Windows or other platforms, you can use this to log in. In the next step, the app asks you to grant it certain rights. Access to the camera is required, for example, if you want to make video calls. And you cannot make calls without access to the microphone.
Video: Youtube / Skype
Older Chromebooks: Use Skype in the browser
Even if your Chromebook doesn't support Play Store apps, you don't have to go without Skype. In this case, simply use the browser version of the service: Open the official Skype website and click on "Sign in" in the top right corner. "Use Skype online" is then available for selection in the drop-down menu. Register for Skype or log in with your existing login data. As with the app, corresponding authorizations are required so that you can use the service without restriction.
Chrome OS for Android apps
Android apps run on reasonably modern Chromebooks thanks to Chrome OS. The operating system offers a number of practical features that are even available as open source software for notebooks in the form of Chrome OS. You can find out more about this in our article on the alternative operating system.
Do you use Skype on the Chromebook and are you satisfied? If not, what improvements would you like to see? We'd love to hear from you in a comment.
Cover picture: picture alliance / Valentin Wolf
- What is an array list
- What are parenchymal cells
- Is the Tesla Cybertruck street legal
- Do you have a beer garden
- What is your counter-intuitive tip on writing
- How do Oracle and Tarot cards work
- What is the answer for 2 4
- What is pelvic floor dyssynergy
- What would happen if I drank superglue?
- How useful you are to your company
- What does raiden mean in Japanese
- What is the value of 418
- Why should men pay a dowry
- What percentage of tornadoes happen at night
- Why do we need written communication
- Most moisturizers are basically the same
- Which coffee contains the most caffeine?
- Does the PLSQL syntax work in SQL Server
- How should I start producing rap?
- Why do Catholics believe in transubstantiation
- What is a medical representative 4
- What are the principles of SQL
- What is PISA education
- Passive voice who knows you