What is the purpose of the earth hour
The whole world went out a little light:
One hour of darkness for climate protection
In many emblematic places around the world the lights went out at this year's "Earth Hour", for example at the pyramids in Egypt, the Athens Acropolis, the London Ferris wheel and the light mile in Las Vegas. In Germany, Hamburg and other cities took part in the action supported by the United Nations. Austrian cities such as Eisenstadt, St. Pölten, Salzburg and Innsbruck are also involved.
It's good to chit chat in the dark
In Paris, the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame fell into darkness in the evening, but the Eiffel Tower only lasted five minutes for safety reasons. The lights also went out on time at St. Peter's Basilica and the Colosseum in Rome. In Spain, lights were switched off in all 52 provincial capitals, and the royal palace and parliament in Madrid were also in the dark.
Numerous other US cities joined the action. In San Francisco, three hours to the west, the lights on the Golden Gate Bridge should be turned off.
China switches off for the first time
China, which has so far rejected an internationally binding, binding reduction in emissions, took part in the campaign for the first time. In Beijing, the lights were switched off at the most famous Olympic sites of the past year, the "Bird's Nest" Stadium and the "Water Cube". The metropolis of Shanghai also took part.
The "Earth Hour" was first held in 2007 - a single city, Sydney, participated at the time. 400 cities took part last year. This year's campaign is primarily intended to put pressure on the Copenhagen climate protection negotiations, which at the end of the year will involve a follow-up agreement to the Kyoto environmental protocol.
(apa / red)
- What significance does Planck's time have
- How can I set my sleep schedule
- What are the best Judas Priest albums
- Is Satan just misunderstood
- What are the dimensions for the wall thickness
- Is the Russia investigation bad for America?
- Competitive programming can be cooperative
- Does a dog know if it's fat
- Why are Cheesecake Factory products not considered kosher?
- Will Bengal become another Pakistan for Hindus
- How to make polymer clay beads
- What is summing amplifier
- Has code optimization ever been disastrous?
- What are fructose intolerance symptoms
- What is the output of python code
- What is SIP MF
- What does incognito mode do
- What do you regret on Quora
- How do I start this GitHub
- Why do people buy psychology
- Is Disney too big to fail?
- What are the surreal places in India
- What is PRS
- How can you lighten freckles