What screams You are a mediocre programmer
Women program better, but are less accepted
Github is apparently struggling with sexism. Software projects can be hosted on the popular platform and anyone can contribute code. According to a study, women are less welcome on the platform. Researchers from San Luis Obispo and North Carolina State Universities examined more than four million Github accounts - including the GHTorrent records and pull requests.
Matched with Google+ account
In order to find out whether the person behind the account is male or female, the email addresses were compared with the corresponding Google+ accounts. This made it possible to determine the gender of 35 percent of the four million users. Furthermore, the accounts were examined to see whether it can be determined without further research whether a Github user is male or female.
Women better than men
The researchers finally found that the pull requests from female Github users had higher merge rates than those from male users. The code that was written by women was generally more accepted than that of their male colleagues. In addition, 100 percent of the suggestions were accepted by 25 percent of women programmers - for men this rate was only 13 percent. Most recently, according to the study, the pull requests from female Github users were more pronounced and contributed more frequently to problem solving.
A different picture emerged, however, when the gender of the Github user was recognizable from the account information. When it came to first-time pull requests, the acceptance rate was suddenly lower than that of the men. If the gender was not identifiable, this effect did not occur.
The theses of the researchers
The project's scientists have several explanations for their findings. On the one hand, less competent women would rather drop out of their computer science studies, which means that only the best remain and become active at Github. In addition, women have, on average, higher degrees than men. The study has already been classified as ethically acceptable by the Institutional Review Board, but has not yet been subjected to a peer review process, as Golem.de found. (red, 02/13/16)
- Is a VSO sentence okay with you?
- What Are The Most Successful Wix Stores
- How do I search for job postings
- What are the blockchain advances in fintech
- What were your marriage vows
- How are product development guidelines created
- What do you mean by environmental changes
- What color car is the easiest to maintain
- Can CBD Help With Tennis Elbow
- Is olive oil good for children's skin
- Is it possible that reincarnation is real?
- What are some misunderstandings about burlesque
- Is adding correct as between words
- Should I join the US Army?
- What's your take on porn Why
- What are some resources for military women
- What has Bill Gates done for India
- Have you ever spoken to your father
- Will Apple TV be successful in India?
- Where did the people come from?
- What problems does the Democratic Party face?
- What is heterotrophic nutrition
- Why was Tessa Gawrychs' account disabled
- What is the Best Bitcoin Affiliate Program