What do XX chromosomes do
XX chromosomes increase heart risk in women
Image source: Unsplash / Joshua Ness
The XX factor
The presence of two X chromosomes increases the amount of fat circulating in the blood, according to a study by the University of Kentucky. The consequences are narrowing of the arteries and ultimately a higher risk of a heart attack or coronary artery disease.
Coronary artery disease is the leading cause of death in women. However, they become ill an average of ten years later than men. The delay has long been attributed to the protective effects of sex hormones. Indeed, there is plenty of evidence that hormones like estrogen and progesterone protect the heart. However, little data has been available so far on the influence of the X chromosome on this organ. Therefore, the team led by research director Lisa Cassis investigated the effects of chromosomes in mice. Most recently, it was possible to direct the focus to the XX chromosomes. This was made possible by removing hormones.
The scientists have now published their results in the journal "Nature Communications".
According to first author Yasir Al-Siraj, excessively high levels of lipids circulating in the blood lead to an accumulation in and on the arterial walls. These deposits harden and narrow the arteries. This affects the blood supply to important organs. The team studied fats that are ingested through food and produced in the liver. The combination of XX chromosomes was found to promote the effective use of fat.
According to Cassis, women need these fat reserves for pregnancy and breastfeeding. It only becomes problematic when menopause is reached and the protective effect of the hormones ceases to exist. The researchers are currently looking for genetic changes in the liver and intestines. The aim is to find new starting points for the development of new drugs. If it is possible to find genes in atherosclerosis that influence the disease, the effect of existing drugs can be tested and the development of new active ingredients can begin.
Source: University of Kentucky / press release
- How do I get approval from BMSIT
- Wikipedia is an example of swarm intelligence
- Can you get weed
- What do foreigners think of Area 51
- Which are the metals
- Have standard carburetor mounting points
- What is the advantage of a nuclear submarine
- What is a cure for chronic loneliness
- Why does Cersei beat Ned
- What's your rating of Vivo company
- Is bounty hunting real
- Was the emergency necessary in 1975
- How do I get website leads
- How big was the sword of Goliath
- How can you make me a believer?
- Did Eminem ever wish he were black
- Smoothies can be chilled
- How well do you know Quora
- How can I learn Django 2 0
- How can I do underwater fashion photography
- Is college really just a business?
- Why was enlightenment important
- What caused Karim Benzema's downfall
- What is an analytical laboratory