Why do we worship each other every year
World religions One god, several gods - or none at all
Average rating: 3.61 of 5 with 166 votes.
500 religions, 5,000 or 50,000? Not even experts know exactly how many different religions there are. That depends a lot on what you mean by "religion".
From: Katharina Mutz
What does "religion" actually mean?
Some scientists say: Religions - these are stories about gods, spirits, saints and other beings. In addition, religions convey certain ideas about how people should behave correctly and how they should better not behave.
Such ideas can of course change quickly - especially among small religious communities. That is why some scientists say: every day new religions emerge and every day old religions die out. When a few people get together and believe in something, a new religion can emerge. But if a handful of believers fail, for example, to pass on their beliefs to their children and grandchildren, then a religion can also disappear again.
St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, the largest Catholic church.
Many religions have so few followers that hardly anyone knows them. But there are also major religions that are spread all over the world - the so-called world religions. This includes that Christianity, the Judaism, the Islam, the Buddhism and the Hinduism.
Religions with one god
Christianity and Islam both arose from Judaism. That is why Christians and Muslims also know many of the stories from the Torah, the holy book of the Jews. Sometimes Jews, Christians and Muslims also venerate the same prophets - these are messengers of God.
Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.
However, there are also big differences between the three religions. Above all, it is different who Jews, Christians and Muslims worship most: The Jews are waiting for a Messiah, someone who will save and redeem them. The first Christians, who were originally Jews, also waited for a Messiah. When they got to know Jesus, they believed: Jesus is the Messiah.
The blue mosque in Istanbul.
However, many Jews saw it differently - this is how Christianity developed. Islam, on the other hand, which arose six hundred years after Christianity, worships the prophet Mohammed. Despite these differences, there is one important thing in common: Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in only one God.
Religions with many gods
That is by no means a matter of course. Because there are also religions in which people believe in many gods. For example Hindus, who mainly live in India, Nepal and Bali. They worship the elephant god Ganesha, the monkey god Hanuman or the creator god Brahma.
Religions entirely without gods
Elephant god Ganesha.
But there are also religions without God - for example Buddhism. Believers adore Buddha as an enlightened one, i.e. as a very wise person - but he is not considered a god. In some currents of Buddhism there are also different gods, but they are not as important as the god in Christianity, for example. And then of course there are people who simply don't believe in any religion or God. Scientists call such people atheists.
Why are there so many different religions?
Because there are so many different people. Because how and where we live influences who we worship and how we imagine our gods, spirits or saints. In some areas of the world people live together in very small communities - often an extended family or a village has its very own religion. It goes without saying that this is why there are so many different faiths all over the world. Also, if everyone believed in the same thing, that would be one thing above all - boring.
- Why do cat scratches infect you
- Who is looking forward to Eurovision 2019
- Why is Norway so peaceful
- Are torches as bad as muggles
- Are avocados vegan
- EverWebinar is the best evergreen webinar platform
- Is World of Dance manipulated
- What's your favorite Meghan Trainor song
- Which dictator has a brutal ending?
- How long do dragon fruits live
- What will always be awkward
- How does intellectual talent affect the individual's experience
- Are NPR and NRC the same thing
- Is love the absence of domination
- What celebrities have ugly feet
- How do I get better test results
- Will someone post an original haiku today?
- How can you spot false enthusiasm?
- Does Donald Trump have a high level of empathy
- What are the cheapest tattoo themes
- How hygienic is the use of handkerchiefs
- Which Canon camera has the highest megapixels
- Where can I find small damage judgments
- Why do you have to train
- What are amazing health facts
- Which wedding should I never attend?
- Which are the best Asterisk SIPphone apps
- You can warm up hand warmer
- Which punctuation mark indicates possession
- What is the principle for jet fuel
- Licenses TikTok Music
- Is it difficult to get admission in Welingkar
- What are the upcoming events in September
- Updating apps will slow down performance