Why is part of Antarctica not claimed
Antarctica - sovereignty / research
In the 19th century, various seafaring nations equipped expeditions to explore the magnetic pole. The Englishman Smith discovered the South Shetland Islands in 1819. Bellingshausen, a Baltic German in Russian service, was the first researcher to safely discover the mainland south of the Arctic Circle (on the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula). There Bellingshausen met the ship of the American Palmer in 1821, who was exploring the waters for whale and seal fishing. The Frenchman Dumont d‘Urville and others reached the coast of East Antarctica near the magnetic pole in 1840 and named the country Adelieland.
The Shackleton expedition was only 180 kilometers from the South Pole in 1909 when it was forced to turn back. The South Pole was reached for the first time in the southern summer of 1911/1912 in a tragic and heroic race between the Norwegian Roald Amundsen and the Englishman Robert Scott. Scott arrived at the South Pole just four weeks after Amundsen, and died on the way back with his companions. Today's American South Pole Station is named after both researchers. Fuchs and Hillary succeeded in crossing the continent for the first time with an English expedition on caterpillar snow vehicles in 1957/58. Their route led from the Weddell Sea over the South Pole to the Ross Sea. The International Transarctic Expedition in 1989/90 took a different route. It led from the Antarctic Peninsula via the South Pole to the Mirny station in the Australian sector.
- How do I learn metallurgy for neet
- What is DeviantArt encoded in
- How big is the largest garage apartment
- Dutch men prefer women of mixed races
- To what extent are the Chinese Confucians
- What is better layout or design
- When does the PSL start
- What does Weed University mean
- What is sponsored advertising for my blog
- Can you still use 50 cent stamps?
- Students who fail need help
- How is psychosis and psychopathy
- Whose opinion do you trust
- How can you recover from business losses?
- Is Kolkata a friendly city
- Is someone actually using Entropolis
- Consensual polygamous marriage should also be legalized
- Are negative numbers considered numbers or vectors
- May boys needy girls
- Why didn't Republicans like Obama Care?
- Have a nice garden
- Setup exe is a virus
- Why should one fast settle down?
- The brain processes data bi-directionally
- AliDropship is owned by the Alibaba Group
- Why are bayonets rarely attached to pistols
- Doesn't someone really need anyone else?
- Where should I start to learn web development
- How is Canada superior to Russia
- Who are the best writers from Mongolia
- In what dimension does air exist?
- What makes RM from BTS so attractive
- Should I answer old questions 1
- What is a suitable occasion to carry crocodiles