What is the best camera under 7k
Buying advice: which travel camera is the best (2021)?
Are you looking for the best camera for your trip so you can capture your memories? Wondering which travel camera is right for you? Then you are spoiled for choice. There are now quite a few different cameras from which you have to choose the most suitable one for you.
Finding the right digital camera for you and your next trip can be tough and complicated. I myself am constantly testing out cameras, only to then resort to my tried and tested Canon EOS 650D.
That's enough of that. I've read through dozens of reviews on the Internet and in specialist magazines, asked friends and other travelers which camera is the best for them when traveling.
By the way, here you can find a list of my equipment: Camera and photo accessories for traveling!
In this article you will find tips on buying a digital camera when traveling and which cameras are good for traveling. Use the navigation to go directly to the section that interests you:
How do you find the best travel camera for you?
The range of cameras is large. There are compact cameras, system cameras, SLR cameras, action cameras and the camera on your smartphone. Among the system and SLR cameras there are still cameras with crop and full format for professionals. There are also different systems, manufacturers, models and variants of it.
The requirements for a travel camera
What should your ideal travel camera be able to do?
- Should it be small and compact
- Do you want to be able to change lenses?
- Do you take pictures in automatic mode?
The demands are with each other.
For me, the perfect travel camera should be small, handy, robust and user-friendly. Still take good quality pictures. Ideally, the camera should be inexpensive and not tear too big a hole in your wallet.
You might also want to take photos underwater. Then the camera must be waterproof.
The camera should therefore be very versatile and cover a wide spectrum. Almost all current camera models have at least 24 megapixels. Some even have more. This is for Amateur photographers - where I belong too - completely sufficient.
How big is your passion in photography?
Are you a "snapper" and only take photos in automatic mode or a preset creative mode? Do you want to do more photography? What subjects do you photograph?
My typical photo motifs when traveling are landscapes, interior shots, macro shots of details, shots of people (and me), architecture on city trips or even animals at a greater distance (safari). I also capture underwater photos and moments during outdoor activities.
Except for the technical requirements with a travel camera there are also thosepractical requirements in the foreground. Think about which functions your camera should definitely have. Would you like a camera with a lens and travel zoom, a digital camera with a fixed focal length (without zoom) or a better model where you have different lenses available?
Make a list and also consider what budget you want to spend.
My requirements for the camera:
- Camera weight and appearance:
The camera shouldn't be too heavy. If you're on the go all day, you'll be happy when the camera isn't too heavy. In addition, the camera should (if possible) not be too conspicuous. In some countries and places, people are not always pleased when they see a camera. You should also be able to quickly hide the camera from thieves.
- Easy handling:
The camera system should be easy to understand and clear. Can you handle the camera's software? Switching from one system (e.g. Canon) to a new one (e.g. Sony) is not easy at first. Every camera manufacturer names the imprinted recording modes differently. Shutter automatic means Canon TV, Nikon T and Sony S.
- Robust in light rain:
Many - unfortunately not all - cameras have a splash guard built into the housing. This means that if it suddenly starts to rain, a few drops of the camera shouldn't affect it.
Before making a final purchase: try different cameras
Try different cameras in the local shop or ask a friend. Maybe someone owns the camera you have your eye on and can test it? Can you handle the camera's menu, is the camera comfortable to hold and does the weight seem okay to you?
Take test pictures before buyingin different lighting conditions. If the resolution, sharpness and color match your ideas, that's perfect. The noise of the image (dotting of dark areas, especially in poor lighting conditions) should not be too strong either. The newer the camera, the better the "noise behavior".
Which cameras are ideal for travel?
Basically there are these types of cameras:
- Smartphones (yes, your phone has a camera and counts)
- Digital compact cameras
- Mirrorless system cameras
- Digital single lens reflex cameras (DSLR)
- Action cams for outdoor and underwater photography
Each model has advantages and disadvantages. You have to find out for yourself which factors and characteristics of a camera are important to you. Is the quality of a smartphone photo enough for you? Or do you want to capture the grandiose impressions of your trip on a real digital camera because the quality of the smartphone is not enough for you?
The most importantThe fact that you must never forget when it comes to photography, no matter how expensive your camera and equipment is:
It is not the camera that takes the good photo, but the photographer behind it ...
Digital compact cameras (mirrorless)
You can never go wrong with a compact camera. No matter if you are a beginner, take photographs in your free time or outdoors.
The handy little compact cameras are the most popular cameras when traveling. You can get a really good digital camera for as little as € 100. I used to always have compact cameras with me when traveling, at concerts or in everyday life.
Affordable entry-level models are available from Canon with the Canon IXUS 180 for only 130 euros (see details). The premium compact camera is then the Canon PowerShot G7 X (see details). The G7 X is particularly brilliant for filming. At around 600 euros, the camera is a lot more expensive. I know many travel bloggers who swear by this camera.
As already mentioned above: You yourself have to be satisfied with the camera and be satisfied. Go to the nearest specialist shop and take test images with the different cameras.
View the compact camera test winner 2018 on Amazon:
- 48MP High Image Resolution: This digital camera supports an image resolution of up to 48 MP, which allows you to take high quality photos. The digital camera supports 4x digital zoom and can adapt to recordings in different positions. The included 2 1500mAh batteries support up to 4 hours of recording time and are your best companion for trips and excursions.
- 2.7K High Video Resolution: The digital camera's video resolution of up to 2.7K can bring excellent video recording performance. In addition, the compact camera supports charging while recording and recording pause functions. This feature is very suitable for people who like to record VLOG. The digital camera can be attached to a tripod (not included) to meet your various shooting needs.
- Multifunctional digital camera: Digital cameras support many interesting functions such as face recognition, series recording, timer recording, camera shake protection, etc. This is a practical universal digital camera that can record every beautiful moment in your life. Thanks to the camera's built-in flash, digital cameras offer amazing performance even in low light. This feature allows you to take great photos at night.
- 3D head- The 360 degree rotatable recording supports your creative photo ideas. Panoramic shots are child's play and shots from slightly different angles are also very easy. Follow moving objects easily and always safely, because your camera is always secure and is firmly integrated into the system.
- Light and stable - The legs of the tripod are made of a high-strength aluminum alloy and combine lightness with maximum stability. With the central load hook on the center column, you can attach additional weights to increase stability, even under difficult conditions, and to reduce vibration sensitivity.
- Versatile - With its multifunctional recording, the tripod for cameras and smartphones is the ideal partner. Regardless of the device, it can always be moved 360 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically in order to find the optimal recording angle.
- ★ 【8x digital zoom and 2.7-inch TFT HD display】 This compact camera has an incredible 8x digital zoom that allows you to get closer to objects and capture all the details you need for more natural and realistic images . In addition, this digital camera is equipped with a 2.7-inch TFT screen (approx. 6.8 cm) so that everyone can view their photos / videos without any problems.
- ★ 【30 MP & 1080P & 32 GB SD Card】 This digital camera supports high definition recording, which is equipped with 30 MP and full HD video (1920 x 1080) in high quality. With this affordable entry-level camera, you can capture and record all the great times with family and friends anytime. And this digital camera contains 32GB SD card and supports up to 128GB SD card (not included).
- ★ 【Multifunctional digital camera】 This compact camera supports camera shake, face detection, series and selfie functions. In addition, these rechargeable digital cameras have excellent performance even in low light conditions. The built-in flash allows you to take much brighter photos, especially in darker surroundings.
System cameras (mirrorless)
For me, system cameras have the great advantage over compact cameras that they are much more flexible with interchangeable lenses, yet they are compact. The cameras are built without mirrors, which means that they are much smaller and more manageable.
The price for the camera body is no longer too high above that of a compact camera. If you don't want to lug a large and heavy SLR camera with you, the system camera might be the right alternative for dic
Small system camera for your pocket
Since my trip to South Africa in January 2016, I have had a really small system camera that takes great pictures and almost fits in your pocket:
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 is a system camera and very small. I have this for that Panasonic H-H020E pancake lens Lumix G F1 Bought 20mm, 1.7 prime lens. Follow images from the camera.
View details on Amazon, here is Info about the lens.
This camera comes in my handbag in the evening when traveling or in regions where I don't want to attract attention with a large camera. The camera also has WIFI and I can quickly transfer pictures to my smartphone.
What I can't handle is that the camera doesn't have a viewfinder. I couldn't judge the quality or check the settings in strong sunlight. Make sure that the system camera has a viewfinder.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 with accessories:
Mirrorless system camera for beginners and professionals
The mirrorless system cameras are simply great and more and more popular. That's why I bought the Sony Alpha 6000 after thinking about it for a long time. This system camera is small, after a short period of getting used to it, it is easy to operate and the quality of the photos is that of a reflex camera! In contrast to a DSLR, the camera is much lighter and more compact. A very important advantage for my many trips.
The standard lens is okay, the lenses from Zeiss, which were specially developed for the Sony Alpha series, ensure even better quality. The selection of interchangeable lenses is growing and thanks to the AF adapter I can even use my Canon camera lenses.
You can read an experience report on the Sony Alpha 6000 from Thomas. Among other things, this report made me buy it.
Nevertheless, at some point I decided to switch to the Sony Alpha 7 III and now to the Sony Alpha 7 Riii. These are full-frame cameras that are actually used by professionals. You don't need it, I'm still totally thrilled. Of course in combination with the great G-Master lenses (which cost almost as much as the respective camera "on top").
My new favorites The cameras of the Sony Alpha range:
View the 3 most popular system cameras on Amazon:
- Scope of delivery: Sony Alpha 5000 system camera (Full HD, 20 megapixels, Exmor APS-C HD CMOS sensor, 7.6 cm (3 inch) swivel display) black including SEL-P1650 lens Connectivity: NFC, HDMI D, Multi / Micro USB, WLAN IEEE 802.11b / g / n, SD card
Digital single lens reflex camera (DSLR)
Digital SLR cameras offer you even greater flexibility and options. Among other things, they have a larger image sensor and a powerful autofocus. The result is very high quality images.
But here, too, there are different models:Full format single lens reflex cameras (DSLR), crop cameras (half format DSLR) and system cameras (DSLM). In addition to quality, weight and price are decisive factors here.
The two largest manufacturers for affordable DSLR cameras areCanon and Nikon. But gradually you can see more and more often when traveling that travel photographers are also doing without bulky and heavy DSLR cameras and converting them to Sony Alpha cameras.
In the past, DSLR cameras were the only ones that took pictures in RAW mode. Almost all cameras can now do this. Sony has also surpassed the unique selling point of a larger image sensor with its Sony Alpha series (all system cameras).
Absolute professionals will certainly not do without the full-frame DSLR for studio photography. But when traveling, it no longer makes sense to carry a heavy SLR camera with you when Sony has the better and more compact cameras on offer.
Crucial is in my eyes, however not just the camera, but also theLenses. It always depends on what you want to spend on camera and lenses.
How much is the perfect travel camera and lens worth to you?
The prices vary enormously depending on the lens. Only if you are sure that you are dealing professionally and in depth with the subject of digital photography is it worth buying a digital single-lens reflex camera.
Tip: As a beginner, I wouldn't buy a current SLR camera model. A discontinued model or special offer - often with better lenses - is a good alternative. I currently recommend the Canon 70D (the latest model is the 80D) or the Canon 700D (the latest model is the Canon 750D).
Another tip: Think carefully about whether you really want to buy another SLR camera. Since a short test phase I've been an absolute Sony Alpha fan. The Sony Alpha 6000 is ingenious for beginners and normal users. The 7 ii is worthwhile as a full-frame camera (anyone who wants to be trendy buys the 7R ii, which is twice as expensive, but seriously: Who of you produces photos for exhibition walls? We don't need it).
View the 3 most popular SLR cameras on Amazon:
- SIMPLE AND INTUITIVE - the ideal entry-level DSLR for capturing and sharing memories with an attractive background blur
- UNCOMPLICATED CREATIVITY - Live view recordings with easy-to-understand instructions are provided in the creative auto mode - and there are numerous creative filters for a unique finish. Simply aim at the subject and release - the automatic subject recognition ensures first-class results
- CAPTURE SPONTANEOUS MOMENTS - in creative full HD videos or video snapshots of the highlights of the day
- Easily and intuitively capture and share exciting stories with colors, details and a beautiful blurry background effect that sets you apart.
- With an 18-megapixel sensor that is up to 19 times larger than most smartphones, you can take stunning photos with a blurred natural background and even in incredible light.
- 3 inch display
- 16.0 MP CMOS sensor for detailed images
- 40x optical zoom (22.5 to 900 mm, corresponding to 35 mm picture)
- Tiltable 7.5 cm (3 inch) TFT LCD monitor with 931,000 pixel resolution
When you think of action cams, you think of GoPro cameras in particular. There are now several providers who want to hold a candle to the GoPros. However, I haven't found any that are as robust as the small action cameras.
So I can only recommend you to buy one of the GoPros. Whether it has to be the GoPro HERO4 Black (approx. 500 €) or rather the GoPro Hero4 Silver with display (approx. 390 €) is up to you. To get started, the very small GoPro Hero4 session camera could also be sufficient. However, the price difference to the Hero4 Silver at 90 euros is too small.
Here you can view the different GoPro variants on Amazon.
If you are only looking for a camera for underwater photography, I can recommend the Panasonic DMC Lumix (see details) as an alternative. A friend used the camera on a trip together and I was absolutely thrilled with the quality of the underwater footage.
Read more: My camera and photo accessories while traveling.
Don't you want to miss any more information?
Come ‘to theMUCH ON THE GO Community on Facebook. In this closed group you can exchange ideas with travel enthusiasts.
Follow me Facebook, Twitter, ;Pinterest and Instagram and regularly subscribe to news via Newsletter or RSS feed.
Transparency and Trust: There are recommendation links in this post. For you that means: No additional costs. But: If you buy something via a link, I receive a small commission. You will not incur any additional costs, but help me to run this site and to support the blog and my work! Thank you so much!
- How are the UAS Dharwad hostels
- What is character development in literature
- How can we develop Hosur
- What is the mechanism of a hologram
- What are the effects of retirement
- Can you write an autobiography of Quora
- What are Unknown Facts Related to Pornography
- Check or validate universities international certificates
- Why do we need rich people
- Which Shayari did you read today
- Can a person stop having diabetes
- What is the hedge fund index
- Why is realism so depressing
- How do you answer talking nicely
- Scandinavian monarchies are supported by locals
- What are the best palaces in India
- How do you raise blood pressure right away
- What is the psychology of handshaking
- Why aren't speed limits higher on motorways
- How can I increase my jogging resistance
- Modems have IP addresses
- Why do squids only live 2 years
- What are the smartest online communities
- How important is a large flash memory