How come my phone number is not working
Withhold number: How to call anonymously with your mobile phone
The subject of data protection is an important issue in times of GDPR and the World Wide Web: This applies to name, address and of course to your own mobile phone number. Here in the article you will find out how you can suppress your own phone number - regardless of which smartphone you are using.
Table of Contents
Withhold number - this is possible
In principle there are three different options: The mobile phone number unique withhold the number for a call permanent suppress for all outgoing calls or selected contacts Call permanently suppressed.
Withhold number on Apple iPhone
The phone number is suppressed on the iPhone via Settings> Phone Caller ID
If you want to permanently suppress the transmission of your own number for outgoing calls, proceed as follows:
- Send my caller ID
Alternatively, you can permanently suppress the phone number by entering a GSM code, so you don't have to struggle through the settings. To do this, press the key combination in the dialing field *31# and then press Call. To deactivate permanent number withholding, select #31#.
Calling number suppression on Android smartphones
In the settings of the Android smartphone (here a Huawei P30) the number is suppressed in this menu
Like all iPhones, all Android phones are equipped with a function that allows you to suppress your own number. Depending on the Android version, the exact path to the setting can differ slightly - but basically everything is very similar. Using the Huawei P30 Lite as an example, we proceed as follows:
- Go to "Settings" in the menu
- "Cellular network" menu item
- "Call settings" sub-item
- For dual SIM devices, click on "More" for the respective SIM
- Under “Caller ID” you can choose whether the number should be withheld or not
You can also get to this point directly in the telephone menu of your mobile phone, click on the three points one below the other, select “Settings”, now the “More” point and select in the “Caller ID” menu field whether the number should be transmitted.
Withhold number for call once
If you want to withhold your own phone number once, you can type in this code before entering the number
If you only want to suppress the call number for calls to a specific number, proceed as follows:
- Open the selection field of the mobile phone
- Enter the key combination # 31 #
- Then append the desired number
- Press "Call" - the relevant contact will be called with the number suppressed
Withhold the number for selected contacts
If you only want to anonymously contact selected contacts in your phone book, the principle is actually similar to that described above. All you have to do is prefix the stored telephone number with the code # 31 #. It does not matter whether the number is saved in the format # 31 # 0172… or as # 31 # + 49172…, for example.
Can the withheld number still be traced?
Yes, the withheld number can be traced. It is suppressed for the called party, but authorities or network operators are able to find out anonymous calls. Otherwise criminals would have had an easy time of it.
Suppress phone number in Whatsapp group chats
By using group chats in WhatsApp, it is quite possible that people from your environment come into possession of your mobile phone number without you perhaps wanting to do so yourself. Those people can then save your number and send you a message privately or call you.
You cannot hide or hide your own number in Whatsapp group chats at the moment (as of March 2020). But there are other options here too. In the alternative messenger service Telegram, however, it is possible to replace your own number with a user name. If you add a person from a group chat to Telegram via the user name, the mobile phone number is not visible - unless the unknown person has already saved you as a contact in the mobile phone.
Other helpful GSM codes in addition to number suppression
There are a number of other useful GSM codes for your smartphone. GSM stands for Global System for Mobile Communication and is, so to speak, generally applicable to the subject of cell phones and not dependent on the provider. The codes therefore work regardless of whether you are a Telekom, Vodafone or o2 user:
|Activate call diversion||** 21 * destination number #|
|Deactivate call diversion||##21#|
|Activate call waiting||*43#|
|Deactivate call waiting||#43#|
|Show IMEI (serial number)||*#06*|
|change PIN||** 04 * old PIN * new PIN * new PIN #|
- Lord Karna had children
- What are coefficients in statistics
- People really make money from AdSense
- How valuable are stars to space probes
- May German jazz music
- Why are minerals unevenly distributed on earth?
- Is cuboid a cube
- Can you make a statement about beauty
- Noam Chomsky is Jewish
- How amazing is human head hair
- How can you glue polypropylene
- What is PISA education
- What is the English meaning of dulara
- Why is Guyana called a cooperative republic
- Which is the best song on youtube
- Does socialcatfish com really work
- What is the right intention for meditation
- Why do traumatic experiences lead to nightmares
- Whatever is the plural of whoever
- What does Kol Khara mean
- What is the Slutsky substitution effect
- Keep vegetables in bed longer
- How I use this FREE INSTAGRAM BOT
- Professional pool players need day jobs